Friday, March 12, 2010

ALEX & ACCESS

ALEX

ALEX is the Alabama Learning Exchange. This is a great site for teachers. I have actually used it to find ways to extend my lessons. I have so many different learning styles in my classroom and I need as many ways as possible to reach them. Creating lesson plans is another part I have used in the past. I find the site easy to understand and maneuver.

For new teachers the site offers many new ideas and additional ways to teach their specific subject. By accessing this site teachers can share with others and see what others are doing. I would recommend this site as a very useful tool and a needed part to a teachers PLN.


ACCESS

This assignment actually hits close to home for me. My school is thinking about using ACCESS in our classrooms. ACCESS uses E teachers instead of the actually teacher. Podcasts and Skypeing could be used. I think this would allow students to get many different views and perspectives on various subjects.

The problem I can see my particular school having would be that our computers are outdated and often out of service. This is not a problem that I see being resolved in the near future. We have an off site computer company that comes when we call. But we are charged by the hour and sometimes have to wait for the service. It gets very frustrating for the students and myself. If I actually have more students then it would be near impossible to utilize ACCESS. I see ACCESS being beneficial to my school but only if the funding comes through and new computers are purchased.

3 comments:

  1. Good job Pam. Maybe with the economy getting a "little" bit better, the school will be able to afford "newer" computers soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pamela,
    I, too, found ALEX and ACCESS to be extremely useful. I think that it is wonderful that students are now able to take classes that the school does not offer. This is yet another example of how useful technology is to education.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ALEX is a great tool and I've already included it as part of my PLN. I hope your school can find a way to acquire updated technology so your students can utilize the benefits technology like ACCESS can provide for them.

    ReplyDelete