Sunday, February 21, 2010

Classroom iPods-Friend or Foe

I can see in a conventional classroom setting that an iPod would be a useful tool. As mentioned in the post from CampusGrotto-iPods in the Classroom, iPods can be utilized in many positive ways. They can be used as a study tool when on the go, lectures can be recorded with them, and notes can be taken with them. Another positive would be "going green" through the use of the iPod. Less paper would be consumed in the academic setting. I found on the website: http://www.zapptek.com/ iPod software that could help with classroom tasks.

On the foe side, I can see the iPod as a major distraction. Those students would would not be listening to the lecture but instead jamming out to their favorite group. Or there could even be the problem of theft with the small, desirable gadgets. I know for my current work setting, they wouldn't last long. We have to monitor books closely because the students know we have a limited number of resources available. As a state funded school we rely heavily on donations and federal funding. I would have a hard time convincing our board that an iPod is a needed, academic tool. But the times are changing and hopefully so are the students. They have to see that with technology comes responsibility.

1 comment:

  1. I didn't even think about how the ipods would also be a distraction, because I was caught up on what could be done with them. I see where you are coming from about the money to be able to buy ipods would be hard to come by, but then to have kids get theirs stolen would make it even more expensive. You made me think about both sides now.

    ReplyDelete