Friday, January 29, 2010

Did You Know? 3.0

The first thing I noticed about the video was the music. It was energetic and lively and drew me into the given information. Once I was hooked, the statistics themselves kept my attention. The statement “The U.S. Department of Labor estimates that today’s learner will have 10-14 jobs by the age of 38” hit me close to home. I have had over 15 jobs in my 43 years. Personally, I enjoy the changes of employment locations and new coworkers. I wonder if for others, it may be that the jobs have become too challenging with the ever changing world of technology. Or could it be that the recent generations of gamers have become bored with the employment opportunities available to them? I can also relate to the statement “1 in 2 has been there less than 5 years”, referring to how long a person has been employed at their current position. I have been at my current teaching position for three years and with my previous employer for just two. At my previous position I was employed as an ancillary installment instructor at a local software company. I trained for three months and never grasped the daily technical side of the job. I was ill prepared for the technology and could not get past that aspect of the position. Given the information in the video, I plan not to become one of the statistics.

No comments:

Post a Comment