Saturday, January 30, 2010

It's Not About Technology by Kelly Hines

I am one of the teachers that has not had the opportunity through professional development to learn new technologies. I have never "had" to have the latest gadgets so I haven't actively pursued new technology on my own. I totally agree with Mrs. Hines that "the lack of comprehensive and curriculum-related professional development for teachers is why schools have thousands of computers that are being used as game systems and word processors". I agree that the "old" approach of lecturing students and then testing them on material is not the way to reach all students. That the use of up to date technology will only enhance learning and build creativity in students. From personal experience in the school systems and especially in my current state funded job, there are minimal amounts of the latest technology available. This is an area that needs improvement.

I see that I must be a learner as well as a teacher. I have had to ask my students for assistance with my cell phone and with uploading pictures. They are quite capable of learning the new technologies and teaching me a thing or two. I hope to pursue more training and development in all technology areas. Even initiate some collaboration with some of the local public schools to see what they are doing in technology and how I can improve my classroom.

1 comment:

  1. Pam you are so right. We should never stop learning. Technology is changing so quickly, we have to strive to stay on top and keep learning and teaching others. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete