Saturday, January 30, 2010

Vicki Davis: Harness Your Students' Digital Smarts

I believe that the video shows the ways that technology can be utilized in a specified computer class. The comment that the student was proud of her project where she collaborated with students from other countries was great. To give the students a chance to teach each other and even their teacher, would build confidence that may not have been there before. Having the students have to search for definitions and not just spoon feeding them all of the terminology is a great way to empower them also.

When I see videos are read about classes like the one in the video, I wonder if I will ever actually have access to one. I know when I taught in the public school setting you may have ten to fifteen computers available and on any given day half of them would be broken. The connections were often unreliable or just not available. At my present setting we have five computers and again, half are usually down. It gets very frustrating in that I may plan for an Internet activity and when we get ready to start, the connections are unavailable. I have brought my old laptop in for a backup with the knowledge that if they break it, oh well. Hopefully I will be able to use our resources and create a creative outlet for my students with what we have and prepare them for their next setting.

No comments:

Post a Comment