Saturday, February 20, 2010

Dr. Scott McLeod

I have read the comments of Dr. McLeod and have some mixed feelings. I can see where he is coming from about early intervention and prevention for students to get them on the right academic track. I agree that too much filtering of the Internet will not benefit students and only curtails free speech. When students have the option to explore and search on the Internet, they will often find interesting facts and information. But there will always be those few who don't do what is right and get into sites that are inappropriate. I have seen it in my classroom and we have some many filters in place that even I am limited. I worry too about not addressing the needs of the students who missed out on the interventions that Dr. McLeod mentioned. Those who have already slipped through the system. I have those students and hope that we are balancing the freedoms they need to explore technology and the boundaries they have to have to stay safe. I haven't really thought about how limited schools and students are with the current fears of the Internet so prevalent these days. So the comments of Dr. McLeod have given me something to think about beyond the everyday monitoring of computer time in my classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment