Saturday, February 27, 2010

Michael Wesch: Toward A New Future of Whatever

While watching the video by Dr. Wesch, I felt myself agreeing with the students in the clips. It feels weird to be recorded and invasive to me. When I am recorded I am going to go to one extreme or the other. I will shut myself up totally or go all out. There is really no in between. I am not shy by any means but am deathly afraid of public humiliation. At times I wonder how I can teach teenagers. When they find a crack they open it up with all their might and don't care who they hurt. As a matter of fact, I see them acting in a similar why. With most of my students it is either they never shut up or they never talk. We all have our comfort zones and and "whatever" that might be is totally unique to each individual. Technology has enabled people who would never share their thoughts and feelings with other to writers who are gifted and well read. Information is shared to the world that otherwise would go unpublished.

As for me personally, I have written more in the past two months than ever before. I do not like to write and don't think I convey messages or ideas very well with the written word. I hope that through this course I have come out of that a bit and am able to communicate with my students better. And just for the record. I HATE it when anyone says "WHATEVER" to me.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Pam,
    I think your doing a great job conveying your messages well with the written word. I finally understand what Dr. Strange is trying to get us to do (think about!). Writing has almost become a lost art, full of grammatic errors and words that just don't flow into meaningful sentences. We could do this or write papers (ugh!). Writing these blogs will only make our writing skills stronger!
    Oh, and I too can NOT stand when people say whatever!
    Great post, keep up the good work! See you in class tonight!

    ReplyDelete