Saturday, February 13, 2010

"What I've Learned This Year"

I agree wholeheartedly with Mr. McClung and his thoughts about teaching. It is true you have to know your students. In my situation, teaching at a residential school, I know far more about my students than your average teacher will ever know. At first I did not wish to know their backgrounds except in relation to academics. Then I meet them and I want to know why they are acting out the way they do. I know form their backgrounds what subjects to not dwell on and what areas to review each semester. For example, in health, I may not teach or even address sex education because they are already getting this from the therapist, their group leaders, and nurse. With some of their backgrounds it would be difficult to approach the subject from an academic standpoint when the need is from a therapeutic area.

When it comes to flexibility in the classroom I was always pretty set in my ways. BUT, now I go with the flow much more so that the students are all accommodated. Mr. McClung states, "No lesson is ever perfect. The lesson you teach and the one you plan are always different." I agree with this so much. I can plan for days on one subject only to have it fall flat when presented. The direction of the lesson may go in a totally different direction and if I don't go with it, I may lose the students' interest.
I do listen to the students more than I use to and this works in the classroom. I can be more flexible with the students in the class than say, the therapist who has to stick to a therapeutic plan. The kids may have ideas on what they want to do in class and I do listen and try to give them choices.

I really liked the post from Mr. McClung and will be reading more of his posts in the future. I feel I can relate to some of the situations he talks about and can gather ideas from his experiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment