Sunday, February 21, 2010

Wiki

I joined Wikispaces today and read the comments and thoughts on many subjects. I see where we all eventually have to become Technologically Literate teachers. And I use the word eventually because I know it is not an overnight process. I will have taken this EDM class and will still not be where I need to be. I have many more sites to visit, videos to watch, blogs to create and read, and podcasts to present. Haven't actually done that one yet but soon, very soon. I can see that there are many applications I am not utilizing on my laptop and sites that I have yet to visit that will help me with the applications. But I am trying and I think that is a great thing. Many teachers I know would not even try. They are older and set in their ways and will continue to use pencil/paper till the day they retire. These teachers need their coworkers and IT people to prod them along and show them the way. It CAN be done. I see what progress I have made and am shocked I knew so little.

As I commented in the Wikispaces, I see funding as another obstacle in the way of technology. In my particular situation, state/federally funded school for students with behavior problems, I have very limited funds. I can go out and beg for donations and will at times get them. But what we usually get are what others are discarding. So the equipment is older and sometimes useless. But we try. We request as much as we can and try to keep up as much as possbile.

Between funding and changing outdated views, the road to change is gonna be hard. But it can be done and TL teachers can be created. I know I am changing and didn't think I could. So there is hope for all.

No comments:

Post a Comment